Friday, May 25, 2012

31 Things-Read


Here is topic 3 in Ali Edwards 31 Things class. I feel that the journaling on this one became more of a list of books than anything. The list of each transports me to the stories within, so I am just going to go with it. 

Journaling:
I have always had a love for reading. I love stories. I love the escape.


I can remember as a child taking lots of visits to the library. I can remember reading all kinds of books: Miss Piggle Wiggle series, books written by Roald Dahl, books written by Beverly Cleary, Fudge, Mixed up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, books by Judy Blume, and the Little House on the Prairie series and the Babysitters Club series. I was obsessed with the Babysitters Club. I owned over 100 of the books and still own the collection to this day.


In junior high I was reading books by R. L. Stein and Christopher Pike. By high school I was reading books from Anne Rice, Dean R. Koontz, and Stephen King. I can remember the books we HAD to read in school and not liking them because it was work. I had to remember character’s names and places and analyze themes and symbolism. I couldn’t just be the characters, live their story. I can remember reading: Great Expectations, Of Mice and Men, “Romeo and Juliet”, and To Kill a Mockingbird.


As an adult, I still love “kid” books. I love the Harry Potter series, A Series of Unfortunate Events (with the exception of The End), and The Lord of the Rings trilogy. 


I took a hiatus from reading books for a while. It was too tough to find time for it. When taking care of small children, the only books I was reading were: Little Critter, Curious George, or an array of other picture books. Don’t get me wrong. I enjoy reading to my children. I want to bestow the same love of reading in them.


In the past year, I have found more time to read. I received a Nook Color, an eReader, for Mother’s Day. It gave me the motivation to begin reading again. I don’t just read eBooks, however. Sometimes the books I want to read are not available through the library in eBook form. 


To save myself money, I haven’t been buying books. I find it a waste to pay for a book that I will read once and let it sit somewhere (whether in cyberspace or bookshelf) so I have been using my local library.


On our weekly story time visit to the library, there is never time for me to look at books. I go online to pick things out. Usually the books I pick are popular reads, so I put them on “hold” and have to wait my turn. 


I have quite a “hold” list going at the library (of both books and eBooks). I try to keep 2 to 3 books on “hold” at a time. Some weeks, if I have selected rather popular books, nothing is available for weeks then all of a sudden I can have 4 books waiting to be read! 


Books I have recently read: 
After*
What Happened to Goodbye*
Confessions of a Shopaholic*
Hannah’s Dream 
One for the Money
The Hunger Games 
We All Fall Down*
The Snow Child
The Good American
The Lucky One*
Home Front


*read on my Nook

No comments:

Post a Comment