Thursday, September 25, 2014

I Want to Remember.. You & Me

During the Stash Bash event at Simple Scrapper, one of the daily chats had a speed scrap.

I totally needed this challenge. It had been FOREVER since I had sat down and created a layout from start to finish. No excuses!

So the challenge was Jennifer Wilson would give a parameter of what was to be used on the page a step at a time given a certain amount of time to complete.

I was to find one 4x6 photo. This would normally be a bit of a challenge for me since I tend to print after I know what I want to scrap, but since I had been sorting a purging photos earlier that day, the photo I used, was on my radar.

Second step was to do some kind of treatment to a white background. I chose some Heidi Swapp color shine in a coral color. 

Then we had a couple of minutes to pick 2 patterned papers. I selected two that I recently purchased from AC  from Shimelle's collection. The colors matched the spray I used for the previous step. The trick later stated in the challenge, was that the papers were only to be used as embellishments. 

Luckily the cut apart cards qualified, and I punched a word using a tab punch from the other. That punch was hard to do. I had a full 12x12 and I was cutting into it for a tab? This is something I NEVER do! It felt good to use it up though.

The next parameter was to use 4 types of embellishments. Something flat (my metal & paper clip), something long (washi tape), something with words (sticker phrases from Cosmo Cricket), and 3D (enamel dots I had leftover from my Studio Calico December Daily kit).

The last part of the challenge was to make a title with a large word embellishment (stamped words worked so I used an Ali Edwards' stamp) and two other alpha stickers.

This is what I made.

And I finished it. 
In. One. Hour.


Is it perfect? No.
Are there things I would have done different if it weren't for the challenge? Yes.
Do those things matter? No.

Now journaling is something I struggle with if I don't think about it before putting the page together. I didn't have a lot of time to think, being a speed scrap and all. But that is where Story Stamp comes in.

 I signed up for Ali Edwards' Story Stamp. I used to be a subscriber to Technique Tuesday's Studio AE stamps, but opted out when some of the stamps they were coming out with, I didn't find as useful and figured I could purchase the ones that I knew I would use at the higher price point. I have always been a fan of Ali's stamps and loved her Hello Story class, so I went for Story Stamp. I have not regretted it. 

I got the content the week of Stash Bash and devoured the content before my stamps had come into the mail. This month's theme is Prompts and one of the stamps says "I want to remember". This was a great way for me to get a list of things I wanted to remember about my grandmother and me. 

We did not have a great relationship. I was disowned by her right after I got engaged to my husband over 12 years ago.  There are things that I want to remember despite the ill feelings and that is what I wanted to capture here.

So I have to thank Jennifer Wilson and her Stash Bash event and Ali Edwards' Story Stamp for this completed page. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment